Scholarships, Fellowship, and Internships in OA
This list is part of the Open Access Directory.
- This is a list of Scholarships, Awards, Fellowships, and Internships available for OA-Related Activities divided up by subject area. Please keep in mind this list is not exhaustive and will be updated as new resources become available. New contributions are always welcome. Many of the opportunities are provided by colleges, universities, or other parent institutions so please read the application instructions within the links carefully as the qualification requirements vary. Also, the opportunities listed here are either sponsored by OA institutions or part of a larger program that support the efforts and policies of OA.
Scholarships and Awards
- The Graduate Student Open Access Award Carleton University award for graduate students who publish research in Open Access journals. Five monetary awards of $1000 are distributed annually based on available funding. Other restrictions apply.
- Sparky Awards, SPARC A competition hosted by the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition for student-created videos promoting Open Access and why it matters to them. Categories include best animation, best speech, best remix, and people's choice.
- SPARC Europe Award for Outstanding Achievements in Scholarly Communications Award granted to individuals or institutions in Europe honoring leaders in the field of scholarly communications. Nominees must show an understanding of the problems facing scholarly communication and who have made siginificant advances toward improving current systems and policies. The 4th Annual award went to the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) in 2009.
- Benjamin Franklin Award for Open Access in the Life Sciences, Bioinformatics Organization A humanitarian/bioethics award presented annually by the Bioinformatics Organization to an individual who has, in his or her practice, promoted free and open access to the materials and methods used in the life sciences. Award is presented at the Annual Meeting.
- Open Access Hall of Fame, Oregon State University An annually selected class of inductees to the Oregon State University Open Access Hall of Fame. Recipients are chosen based on their contributions to the ScholarsArchive@OSU, promoting department Open Access, or general contributions to the advocacy and publishing of Open Access research and policies.
- Open Access Fellows, Harvard University Undergraduate and gradaute students who assist Harvard faculty members and faculty assistants make deposists into the Digital Access to Scholarship at Harvard (DASH) repository. Fellows gain knowledge of Open Access Policies and create metadata for faculty deposits.
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Call for Fellowship Applications While not an official "Open Access" fellowship, the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is deeply involved in the OA movement and is hosting a call for applications for new fellows during the 2013-2014 academic year and it is possible that projects could be OA-related.
- Berkman Center Summer Internship Program Summer internship program with the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard for students from multiple levels of educational study and disciplines who want to be involved in the center's initiatives for technology and civic involvement. Multiple opportunities are available including a select, expected track with the Harvard Open Access Project (HOAP). This internship is a full-time, ten-week, paid position and a call for applications is expected in early 2013.
- Digital Public Library of America Internships Throughout the year various short-term internships are available through the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA). In the past, research assistant positions have been available for those interested in helping with the planning efforts being made by the DPLA including governance, funding, and intellectual property issues. Updates and notices for future positions can be found on their listserv.