From Open Access Directory
This list is part of the Open Access Directory.
- This is a list of acronyms commonly used in discussing open access.
- It's enough to supply the phrases for which the acronyms stand, without further definition. You may include a short annotation if there is no link available.
- ALM. Article Level Metrics.
- APC. Article processing charge. Also called a "publication fee" (with no acronym).
- CC. Creative Commons. And so on for the various CC licenses, such as CC-BY for "by" or attribution; CC-NC for no commercial use; CC-ND for no derivative works; CC-SA for share-alike; and some combinations like CC-BY-NC-ND and CC-BY-NC-SA.
- DMP. Data management plan.
- EOS. Enabling Open Scholarship. (Eos is also the Greek word for dawn or sunrise.)
- ETD. Electronic theses and dissertations.
- FAIR. Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Re-usable. See the FAIR Principles (March 2016).
- FLOSS. Free/libre and open source software. Sometimes FOSS.
- GOAL. Global Open Access List.
- HOAP. Harvard Open Access Project.
- IP. Intellectual property. Also IPR, intellectual property rights.
- JIF. Journal Impact Factor. Sometimes, IF (Impact Factor).
- OA. Open access.
- OAI. Open Archives Initiative.
- OAJ. Open access journal.
- OATP. Open Access Tracking Project.
- OAW. Open Access Week.
- OCW. Open CourseWare.
- OER. Open educational resource(s).
- OpenDOAR. Directory of Open Access Repositories.
- PD. Public domain.
- PLOS. Public Library of Science.
- POD. Print on demand.
- PSI. Public sector information.
- RCUK. Research Councils UK.
- SOAF. SPARC Open Access Forum.
- SOAN. SPARC Open Access Newsletter.
- STM. (1) Science, technology, and medicine (as fields of study); (2) International Association of Scientific, Technical & Medical Publishers.
- SPARC. Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition. See also, SPARC Europe.
- SSH. Social sciences and humanities (as fields of study). Sometimes HSS.
- TA. Toll access. Commonly used as the opposite of OA.