Difference between revisions of "Opening Press Release"
Latest revision as of 06:18, 3 February 2012
This list is part of the Open Access Directory.
Open Access Directory: A wiki to organize information about the open access movement
Boston, April 30, 2008. Peter Suber and Robin Peek have launched the Open Access Directory (OAD), a wiki where the open access community can create and maintain simple factual lists about open access to science and scholarship. Suber, a Research Professor of Philosophy at Earlham College, and Peek, an Associate Professor of Library and Information Science at Simmons College, conceived the project in order to collect OA-related lists for one-stop reference and searching.
The wiki will start operating with about half a dozen lists --for example, conferences devoted to open access, discussion forums devoted to open access, and journal "declarations of independence"-- and add more over time.
The goal is to harness the knowledge and energy of the open access community itself to enlarge and correct the lists. A list on a wiki, revised continuously by its users, can be more comprehensive and up to date than the same list maintained by an individual. By bringing many OA-related lists together in one place, OAD will make it easier for users, especially newcomers, to discover them and use them for reference. The easier they are to maintain and discover, the more effectively they can spread useful, accurate information about open access.
The wiki is represented by an editorial board consisting of prominent figures in the open access movement. The Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at Simmons College hosts and provides technical support to the OAD.
Editors and administrators
- Robin Peek. Editor, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College
- Athanasia Pontika. Assistant Editor, Doctoral Student, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College
- Terry Plum. Technical Coordinator, Assistant Dean for Technology and Director, Simmons GSLIS at Mount Holyoke College
Editorial board members
- Charles Bailey. Publisher, Digital Scholarship
- Leslie Chan. Program Supervisor for New Media Studies, University of Toronto Scarborough
- Heather Joseph. Executive Director, Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
- Melissa Hagemann. Open Society Institute
- Peter Suber. Research Professor of Philosophy at Earlham College, Visiting Fellow at Yale Law School, and Senior Researcher at SPARC
- Alma Swan. Key Perspectives Ltd
- John Wilbanks. Vice President, Creative Commons