Early OA journals
From Open Access Directory
Revision as of 14:15, 20 March 2018 by Adl1995 (Updated link to CTheory journal)
This list is part of the Open Access Directory.
- This is a list of early peer-reviewed, open-access journals. For the purpose of this list, "early" means launched in or before 1993.
- If articles are available that describe the journal, please list them under the journal entry.
- Chronological order by launch year, if this can be determined, or by the year the first issue was published. Alphabetical within each year.
- Related lists in OAD: Timeline of the open access movement.
Early OA journals in general
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. "Network-Based Electronic Serials." Information Technology and Libraries 11 (March 1992): 29-35.
- Crawford, Walt. "Free Electronic Refereed Journals: Getting Past the Arc of Enthusiasm." Learned Publishing 15, no. 2 (2002): 117-123.
- Jul, Erik. "Present at the Beginning." Computers in Libraries 12 (April 1992): 44-45.
- Okerson, Ann. "Publishing through the Network: The 1990s Debutante." Scholarly Publishing 23 (April 1992): 170-177.
- New Horizons in Adult Education (1987-present), current publisher: Graduate Program in the College of Education at Florida International University, Miami, Florida; initial publisher: Syracuse University Kellogg Project
- Hugo, Jane, and Linda Newell. "New Horizons in Adult Education: The First Five Years (1987-1991)." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 2, no. 1 (1991): 77-90.
- Psycoloquy (1989-2002), publisher: Stevan Harnad, Princeton University, sponsored by the American Psychological Association Science Directorate
- Harnad, Stevan. "Post-Gutenberg Galaxy: The Fourth Revolution in the Means of Production of Knowledge." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 2, no. 1 (1991): 39-53.
- The Public-Access Computer Systems Review (1989-2000), publisher: University of Houston Libraries
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. "Electronic (Online) Publishing in Action . . . The Public-Access Computer Systems Review and Other Electronic Serials." ONLINE 15 (January 1991): 28-35.
- Ensor, Pat, and Thomas Wilson. "Public-Access Computer Systems Review: Testing the Promise." The Journal of Electronic Publishing 3, no. 1 (1997).
- Moothart, Tom. "Charles W. Bailey, Jr.: Editor, Publisher, Innovator." Serials Review 23, no. 1 (1997): 59-62.
- Electronic Journal of Communication/La Revue Èlectronique de Communication (1990-present), publisher: Communication Institute for Online Scholarship/Comserve
- Harrison, Teresa M., and Timothy D. Stephen. "The Electronic Journal as the Heart of an Online Scholarly Community." Library Trends 43 (Spring 1995): 592-608.
- Harrison, Teresa M., Timothy Stephen, and James Winter. "Online Journals: Disciplinary Designs for Electronic Scholarship." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 2, no. 1 (1991): 25-38.
- Postmodern Culture (1990-present), initial publisher: Eyal Amiran, Greg Dawes, Elaine Orr, and John Unsworth, North Carolina State University; second publisher: Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia; current publisher: Project Muse (No longer open access; however text-only version is still freely available through volume 17.)
- Amiran, Eyal, and John Unsworth. "Postmodern Culture: Publishing in the Electronic Medium." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 2, no. 1 (1991): 67-76.
- Solstice: An Electronic Journal of Geography and Mathematics (1990-present), publisher: Institute of Mathematical Geography, University of Michigan
- EJournal (1991-2004), last publisher: Learning Commons and the Faculty of Communication and Culture, University of Calgary; initial publisher: Ted Jennings, University at Albany
- Jennings, Edward M. "EJournal: An Account of the First Two Years." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 2, no. 1 (1991): 91-110.
- Issues in Science & Technology Librarianship (1991-present), publisher: Science and Technology Section, Association of College & Research Libraries
- LIBRES: Library and Information Science Research Electronic Journal (1991-present), current publisher: Department of Information Studies, Curtin University of Technology
- Surfaces (1991-1997). Director: Jean-Claude Guédon; publisher: Les Presses de l'Université de Montréal.
- Architronic (1992-1999), publisher: School of Architecture and Environmental Design, Kent State University
- Robison, Elwin C. "Architecture, Graphics, and the Net: A Short History of Architronic, a Peer-Reviewed E-Journal." The Public-Access Computer Systems Review 7, no. 3 (1996): 5-12.
- The Arachnet Electronic Journal on Virtual Culture (1993-1996), publisher: Ermel Stepp and Diane Kovacs, Kent State University (See Infomotions Archive for issues)
- CTHEORY (1993-present), supported by University of Victoria
- Education Policy Analysis Archives (1993-present), initial publisher: Gene V. Glass, College of Education, Arizona State University; current publsher: Mary Lou Fulton College of Education, Arizona State University and the College of Education, University of South Florida
- eLaw Journal (1993-present), current publisher: School of Law, Murdoch University
- The Electronic Journal of Analytic Philosophy (1993-present), current publisher: Istvan S. N. Berkeley, University of Louisiana at Lafayette; initial publisher: Analytic Philosophy Project, Department of Philosophy, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Electronic Journal of Differential Equations (1993-present), current publisher: Department of Mathematics, Texas State University-San Marcos
- Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis (1993-present), current publisher: Kent State University Library and the Institute of Computational Mathematics, Kent State University
- Federal Communications Law Journal (1993-present), publisher: Indiana University School Of Law, Bloomington and the Federal Communications Bar Association
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (1993-present), AI Access Foundation, Inc.
- Journal of Criminal Justice and Popular Culture (1993-present), School of Criminal Justice, University at Albany
- Journal of Statistics Education (1993-present), current publisher: American Statistical Association
- Journal of Technology Education (1989-present), publisher: Council of Technology Teacher Education, the International Technology Education Association, and the Virginia Tech Libraries
- MC Journal: The Journal of Academic Media Librarianship (1993-2002), Lori Widzinski, University at Buffalo Health Sciences Library, and Terrence McCormack, University at Buffalo Law Library
- Widzinski, Lori J. "The Evolution of MC Journal: A Case Study in Producing a Peer-Reviewed Electronic Journal." Serials Review 23, no. 2 (1997): 59-72.
- ---. "MC Journal: The Journal of Academic Media Librarianship." Ariadne, no. 5 (1996).
- Music Theory Online (1993-present), Society for Music Theory, Inc.